Morimoto's Tekka Don No Poke (Hawaiian Poke-Style Tuna Rice Bowls)
This recipe for Poke-Syle Tuna Rice Bowls from Morimoto will make you feel like you're at a restaurant. They're so easy to make, you won't believe you can this Japanese dish at home!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup Japanese soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp mirin sweet rice wine
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 tsp tobanjan chile bean sauce (I recommend 2 tsp for a nice spicy kick)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 lb. sushi-grade tuna cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium Haas avocado peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 cups cooked short-grain white rice I used sushi rice
- 1 nori seaweed sheet
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh shiso leaves AKA Japanese mint or perilla I substituted with mint
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Combine soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, tobanjan, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
Add diced tuna and avocado to sauce in bowl, toss well, and let marinate for up to five minutes (but no more than that!).
Divide cooked rice between wide bowls and top with tuna and avocado mixture, leaving sauce behind.
Drizzle sauce over the tuna/avocado.
Tear nori sheets into small pieces and sprinkle over the bowls. Top with shiso leaves and sesame seeds.