This may not be a traditional panzanella salad, but Watermelon Panzanella is packed with fresh summer ingredients (along with some carbs and cheese, of course) and is the perfect summer side dish!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 9 cups cubed Italian bread (from about 3/4 loaf)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cups cubed watermelon (from about 1/2 small watermelon)
- 2 cups cubed cucumber (from 1 medium cucumber)
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeño pepper, rib and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint (can substitute for basil if desired)
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
Place cubed bread in a bowl and toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil and salt. Lay bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 15 minutes, until bread is crispy. Let cool.
Place watermelon, cucumber, red onion, jalapeño, feta cheese, and mint in a large bowl. Add in cooled bread cubes and toss until combined.
Drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil, lime juice, and pepper over salad and toss again to combine.
- If your bread is stale and already crispy, you can feel free to skip baking it.