Fish tacos are delicious, but fish tacos with cheese and cajun spices are even better! This recipe is so simple, but incredibly fresh and delicious!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 lb. barramundi, mahi mahi, or cod, skin removed
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- 6 small (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (can also use habanero cheddar or pepperjack)
In a small bowl, mix together paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and thyme.
Rub spice mix all over both sides of the fish.
Heat canola oil in a large skillet or grill pan over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, place fish in the pan and immediately add butter. Cook fish for about 4 minutes on one side to blacken, flip and cook for another 3 minutes on the other side. Remove to plate to rest for a few minutes.
While fish is cooking, put shredded cabbage, red onion, scallions, cilantro, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Toss to combine.
Warm tortillas on both sides in a skillet over high heat or in a microwave.
Put some of the cabbage mixture on each tortilla. Using a fork, flake fish and put over the cabbage. Top with tomatoes and cheese.
- Recipe adapted from Stephanie Sokolove