Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
This Lighter Chicken Pot Pie is packed with all the good stuff and topped with a buttery phyllo dough crust. A little bit healthier than the original, but just as tasty!
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Cooling Time15 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots (sliced 1/4" thick)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (from 2 breasts or a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus 2 Tbsp parsley leaves for phyllo
- 6 phyllo dough sheets (each 12x17 inches), thawed
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until carrots are tender, but still crisp, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add flour, and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
Remove saucepan from heat and stir in peas, lemon juice, shredded chicken, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Pour filling into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or square baking dish.
Stack phyllo on a work surface. Using a paring knife, cut out an 11-inch circle or square from the stack (depending on if your baking dish is round or square) and discard trimmings. Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining parsley leaves. Repeat with remaining phyllo, parsley, and butter; do not sprinkle parsley on final layer. Drape crust over top of dish; tuck in edges. Cut four slits in top of phyllo for vents.
Bake pot pie until golden and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.