If you're craving the most rich and chocolatey cupcake recipe that also happens to be the easiest cupcake recipe, you need to try these Brownie Mix Cupcakes! With just 4 ingredients, these little cakes are a breeze to bake and perfect for all kinds of occasions.
I'm going to be bold and say that these brownie mix cupcakes are life-changing. Like literally omg how can a cupcake be both so easy and so deliciously chocolate-y and decadent all at the same time?
I'm not totally sure, but I do know that this recipe is basically the biggest life hack I've found.
Because really, what's better than a rich and super moist brownie? I can't think of much unless that brownie was a little bit bigger and topped with the perfect amount of chocolate frosting.
👩🍳 Can you make cupcakes with brownie mix?
Yes, you can! These brownie mix cupcakes are beyond easy to make and require just 4 ingredients, one of them being water.
The end result will basically be brownies in cupcake form and they'll be moist and fudge-like rather than cake-y. Which is basically a dream come true!
I like to make my own chocolate frosting to go on them, but you can just as easily use store-bought to make these even simpler. Top with sprinkles that will match any occasion.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Chocolate lovers will be obsessed with these chocolate cupcakes for so many reasons, but mostly because they're super delicious and incredibly simple to make.
You just throw all 4 ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. Then pour chocolate mixture into a cupcake tin and bake.
No measuring out flour or creaming butter and sugar together. There's nothing complicated about these brownie cupcakes, but they're sure to be a fan favorite wherever you serve them.
You only need a few very simple ingredients to make these! Here's everything you need (be sure to view the recipe card at the bottom of this post for ingredient amounts and full recipe directions):
- Box brownie mix
- Large eggs
- Vegetable oil
You can use a tub of store-bought chocolate frosting (or the flavor of your choice!) or you can make your own easy chocolate frosting. Here's what I use in mine:
- Unsalted butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
❓ What kind of brownie mix should I use
I have tested this recipe with both Ghirardelli Double Chocolate brownie mix and Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge brownie mix. Both were delicious, but I'll forever be the biggest fan of Ghirardelli!
However, this recipe should work with any box of brownie mix as long as it's an 18 oz. box.
🧁 How to make brownie mix cupcakes
There is truly nothing easier than making these cupcakes!
Just heat oven to 325 degrees and line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
Then stir together all the ingredients (brownie mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water) in a large bowl until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
Fill cupcake papers a little more than ¾ of the way full with brownie batter.
Bake for 27-29 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs.
Let the cupcakes rest in the muffin pan for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
🍫 How to make chocolate frosting
If you want to keep things super simple, pick up a container of store-bought frosting when you're buying your brownie mix.
But if you want to add a bit of a "homemade" touch to the cupcakes, make this super easy chocolate frosting!
In the bowl of an electric mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter on high speed for about 3 minutes, until creamy.
Be sure to scrape down the bowl as needed.
Turn the mixer to low and blend in confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until well-combined.
Mix in vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp milk. Add an additional Tbs of milk if frosting is too thick.
And you're ready to frost your cooled cupcakes! I use a pastry bag with a Wilton #1A pastry tip to pipe frosting.
And then take a big bite and omg you're going to be so in love with these chocolate brownie cupcakes! You'll feel like you're biting into the biggest, best chewy brownie you've ever had.
And that frosting is just the icing on top. Literally.
⏲️ How to store
Store brownie cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature. When stored properly, they should keep fresh for about 3 days.
🎉 Flavor variations
I love that these chocolate cupcakes are so simple and easy to make. But I also love how versatile they are! If you want to jazz them up a bit, there's so much you can do. Here are some delicious add-in ideas:
- Chocolate chips: Add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, or peanut butter chips into the batter.
- Peanut Butter: Swirl some peanut butter into the batter before filling the tins and baking. Or top the cupcakes with peanut butter frosting.
- Candy pieces: Mix candy pieces like M&Ms, peanut butter cups, Reese's pieces, Andes mints, etc. into the batter.
- Nuts: Add walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, or pistachios into the batter.
- Espresso power: A little bit of espresso powder or ground coffee with add an extra level of flavor.
- Coconut: A little shredded coconut will give the cupcakes a tropical flair. You can also add it to the frosting.
- Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows will get a little melty and be absolutely yummy in the finished brownie cupcakes.
- Flavored extracts: You can use any flavor extract you want to change the profile of these cupcakes. Peppermint is great at the holidays, coconut is delicious in the summer, and almond adds a different sort of taste. Or you can just flavor the frosting.
- Chocolate glaze: If you don't want frosting, you can certainly leave these plain or you can dip them in a simple chocolate glaze.
🥣 More recipes with boxed mixes
I love making various recipes with boxed mixes, including pancake mix, cake mix, muffin mix, and brownie mix. You can see all my box mix recipes here and I'm sharing some of my favorites below:
The next time you're looking for a good party dessert recipe, these brownie mix cupcakes are the best. They can easily take the place of chocolate cake and I guarantee party guests will love them just as much, if not more!
If you're a fan of homemade brownies, add this delicious brownies cupcakes recipe to your list!
Brownie Mix Cupcakes
- 1 18 oz. box brownie mix
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- Chocolate Frosting (store-bought or homemade recipe below)
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a cupcake tin with papers.
- In a large bowl, stir together brownie mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- Fill cupcake papers a little more than ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 27-29 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let rest in tins for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cooled, frost cupcakes if desired.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter on high speed for about 3 minutes, until creamy (scrape down the bowl as needed).
- With mixer on low, blend in confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until well-combined. Mix in vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp milk. Add an additional Tbs of milk if frosting is too thick.