Packed with deliciously satisfying ingredients, this Steak and Strawberry Salad is the ultimate summer salad and requires minimal time standing over a hot stove or grill.
When it’s 98 degrees out, chances are you don’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen standing over the stove or oven. On these nights, simple is generally best when it comes to dinnertime. And what’s simpler than a salad?
But wait! Before you say you’re gonna need more than a salad for dinner, take a gander at this one. It involves so much goodness and flavor that you may not even realize you’re eating a salad for dinner.
In fact, the idea for this steak and strawberry salad was born from a previous recipe of mine: flank steak tacos with strawberry mint salsa. In a way, this salad is actually a deconstructed taco. If you have trouble making sense of eating salad for dinner then by all means, think of this as a deconstructed taco. better?
Steak and Strawberry Salad Ingredients
Feel free to add or omit any ingredients I used in this salad based on what you have on hand or what your preferences are. But I should note that this is a pretty fantastic combination and is the kind of salad that should be able to satisfy anyone! Here’s what I included:
- Steak: I used sirloin for my steak, but you can use whatever kind you want and either grill it or cook it in a grill pan.
- Greens: I like using a spring green mix, but you can use spinach, romaine, or any combination of lettuce/greens you desire.
- Strawberries: I mean, these are kinda key in a steak and strawberry salad, but you can obviously use any kind of fruit you love.
- Red Onion: I love using just a little sliced red onion for some bite and additional color.
- Blue Cheese: Because steak and blue cheese is probably one of my favorite combos ever. But if you’re not a fan of blue cheese, you can use any kind of cheese.
- Crispy Tortilla Strips: These aren’t totally necessary, but I love adding a little crunch to my salad and these are perfect. You can even use store-bought ones if you want or you can substitute with croutons.
- Lemon Dressing: You can use any kind of dressing you like (even a store-bought one), but I think this quick and simple lemon dressing works well with the other salad ingredients.
How to Make the Salad
Like most salads, this steak and strawberry salad is super easy to put together. All you need to do is cook the steak, fry the tortilla strips (if you’re making your own) and assemble everything in an entree-sized bowl.
Before cooking my steak, I rub some olive oil and salt and pepper on it. Like I mentioned, I used sirloin, but if you prefer flank steak or skirt steak or any other cut, go for it.
Cook to your desired doneness in either a grill pan or on your grill.
If you’re making your own crispy tortilla strips, simply place corn tortilla strips in a skillet with hot oil and let them crisp up.
The lemon dressing just requires putting all the ingredients in a jar, closing the jar, and shaking it up. If you don’t have a jar, you can put them in a bowl and whisk together.
Put greens in a big bowl and top with steak, strawberries, onion, blue cheese, and tortilla strips.
Drizzle lemon dressing over the top.
And enjoy a super low-key summertime dinner that isn’t lacking in flavor or goodness.
Sure you could take these same basic ingredients and make tacos. But as someone who sometimes wants to eat a different kind of taco every night of the week for dinner, I recommend switching it up from time to time.
Plus, I love all those fresh greens!
If the weather is sweltering hot where you are, I promise this steak and strawberry salad will hit the spot for dinner tonight.
Heck, even if it’s not hot where you are, this salad will be delicious. As long as you can get good steak and fresh strawberries, you’re in business.
What’s your favorite summer salad?
If you’re looking for more deliciously satisfying summer salads, check out my Bacon Cheeseburger Kale Salad and my Lemon Greek Tortellini Salad with Chicken Sausage. I also can’t wait to make this Roasted Chickpea Salad from This Healthy Table!
Steak and Strawberry Salad
- 3/4 lb. sirloin steak (or cut of your choice)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips*
- 4 cups spring greens or lettuce mix of your choice
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Lemon dressing (recipe below), or dressing of your choice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Rub 1/2 Tbsp olive oil on both sides of steak and sprinkle and rub 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper onto both sides.
- Place steak on grill or grill pan and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until desired degree of doneness (I like to cook to medium rare, which should register at 140 degrees on a meat thermometer).
- Remove steak from grill or pan and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice steak against the grain into thin slices.
- While steak is resting, add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add tortilla strips and let cook for about 2 minutes before flipping and cooking for another minute, until golden and crispy. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
- Divide greens between two large salad bowls. Divide strawberries, sliced onions, and blue cheese between bowls and toss together. Top salads with steak, tortilla strips, and lemon dressing.
- Put all ingredients in a small mason jar and shake well.