Looking for an easy weeknight dinner that's packed with flavor? This Mediterranean pasta with chicken sausage, broccoli, olives, and feta is an easy-to-make meal that the whole family will love!
(This recipe for Mediterranean Pasta with Chicken Sausage was originally published in July 2010, but was updated with new photos and content in 2020).
Sometimes the simplest dinners are the best dinners. Especially when you're tired and feeling uninspired and just want to eat something delicious without having to think about it too much.
But just because pasta is easy to make and doesn't require a ton of creativity, doesn't mean it has to be boring. Pasta is like a blank slate and a few simple ingredients added can make all the difference.
If you want to get dinner on the table quickly tonight, but also want a deliciously satisfying meal, this recipe for Mediterranean pasta with chicken sausage and broccoli is perfect for you!
Mediterranean Pasta with Chicken Sausage Recipe
A few simple ingredients take a simple penne pasta from "meh" to "yum!!" while adding in some protein and vitamins and nutrients. Aside from a pot for cooking the pasta in, this dish can be made in just one skillet, but make sure you're using a very large skillet so you can ultimately fit all the ingredients.
I use penne pasta for this Mediterranean pasta, but you can use any pasta shape you choose. Start by boiling it in a large pot of salted water and then draining it, making sure to reserve about ⅓ cup of the pasta water.
While the pasta is cooking, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add sliced chicken sausage and cook for about 5 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and browning around edges. Remove from skillet to separate bowl or plate and set aside.
Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet, along with broccoli and garlic. Cook until broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes.
Now you'll add everything to the skillet, including the already cooked chicken sausage and sliced olives...
...cooked pasta, feta, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add in half the reserved pasta water and toss everything together over low heat. If pasta is still looking a bit dry, add remaining pasta water.
Cook just until heated through.
And serve! Did you see how easy that was??
If I'm going to have pasta for dinner (and trust me, I'm GOING TO have pasta for dinner... a lot!), I need it to be easy. And I don't want to dirty a lot of dishes while doing it.
This Mediterranean pasta dish is packed with so much goodness. I love that it involves healthy broccoli, but also salty olives and feta and flavorful protein-packed chicken sausage. So many of my favorite ingredients are in this dish.
You can use any flavor of chicken sausage that you want... I generally use garlic or sun-dried tomato, but you can put a different spin on this dish with buffalo chicken or jalapeño.
And, of course, you can swap out and/or substitute any of the ingredients to your preferences. Add more veggies if you want (asparagus and spinach would be delicious!), leave out the olives if you don't like them (but omg they're so good!), or add additional Mediterranean pasta appropriate ingredients, like sun-dried tomatoes and nuts.
Obviously, if you're vegetarian or trying to eat less meat, leave the chicken sausage out.
Oh, and it's also my civic responsibility to let you know that this Mediterranean pasta is absolutely amazing with a glass of white wine on the side.
You totally deserve it after slaving over the hot stove to make this (shhh we don't have to tell anyone how easy it was!).
What's your favorite way to jazz up a simple pasta dish?
If you're looking for more easy pasta dishes, check out my Baked Lemon Ricotta Pasta and my Pasta with Sausage, Basil, and Mustard. I also can't wait to make this Pasta Puttanesca from The Cook Report!
Mediterranean Pasta with Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb. penne pasta (or pasta shape of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 links chicken sausage, sliced
- 4 cups broccoli, stems removed and roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- ¾ cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta, until al dente. Reserve ⅓ cup pasta water before draining pasta and setting aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat (make sure skillet is large as you'll be adding all ingredients to it!). Once hot, add sliced chicken sausage and cook for about 5 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and browning around edges. Remove sausage to separate bowl or plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet, along with broccoli and garlic. Cook until broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes.
- With heat on low, add chicken sausage back to skillet, along with sliced olives, cooked pasta, feta, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add half the reserved pasta water. Toss well to combine and warm. Add remaining pasta water if desired.