This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is incredibly easy to make and is way more delicious than the average banana bread! Chocolate and walnuts take it to a new level.
(This recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread was originally published in September 2010, but was updated with new photos in 2020).
Just as I convinced myself that baking wasn't "my thing," baking, sure enough, is becoming... my thing. There's something about it that I've found to be a bit soothing. Just watching my mixer spin around, getting my hands sticky with flour and butter, and the sweet smells that flow out of my oven.
It slows life down a bit and after being around people all day, I was in the mood to bake in silence this afternoon. Just me and the sounds in my kitchen. I'm finding it's the perfect way to unwind - and probably expand my waistline, too.
I decided to raid the pantry and fridge to see what I could put together. I saw I had a few pretty decently ripened bananas and immediately thought of banana bread. Because who doesn't love a loaf of banana bread staring at them every time they enter the kitchen? Exactly.
I didn't want to do just a plain old banana bread so I did a search for a Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and found a simple but tasty sounding recipe from Epicurious.
CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD RECIPE
There are so many beautiful things about banana bread. The first is that it's often made spur of the month. You realize you have bananas sitting on your counter that are ready to go in the trash, so you make the game time decision: "I'm going to make banana bread!"
And it's the kind of game time decision you feel OK making because banana bread is so quick and easy to prep. Just mix a few ingredients together, throw them in a loaf pan, pop into the oven, and soon your entire house will be smelling of delicious banana bread.
But what makes banana bread even better? Chocolate chips, of course! And walnuts, too. Just like any banana bread, this is incredibly easy to make and will be ready just in time to enjoy with your afternoon tea or coffee.
To start, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour a 9x5 metal loaf pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
In a separate small bowl, combine chocolate chips and walnuts. Add 1 tablespoon flour mixture and toss to coat.
In the bowl of an electric mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended.
Beat eggs in 1 at a time and then add mashed bananas, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
With the mixer on low, beat in flour mixture. I wanted to stick my face in the mixer at this point. Mmmm, vanilla. Mmm, bananas!
Pour about ⅓ of the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of the chocolate chip and walnut mixture. Pour an additional ⅓ of batter over. Sprinkle with remaining chip/nut mixture and top with remaining batter.
Bake bread for about 55-60 minutes, until edges are just turning golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Turn out on to rack and let cool a bit.
Slice and enjoy!
This is the most perfect banana bread! It's super moist and packed with banana flavor. But it also involves lots of chocolate... If you slice it when it's still a bit warm, the chocolate gets all melt-y and is heavenly.
Chocolate chip banana bread may be the only kind of banana bread I make at all from now on!
But we can't forget the walnuts either. They add a nice little crunch and obviously a nuttiness that complements the sweetness of the bananas and chocolate just a bit. Of course, you can leave the nuts out if you'd rather... But I highly recommend them!
I'm 100% positive that this chocolate chip banana bread will be my breakfast tomorrow. Maybe just one slice. Maybe the whole loaf. We will just wait and see...
What's your favorite thing to bake?
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and butter and lightly flour a 9x5" metal loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine chocolate chips and walnuts in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon flour mixture to bowl and toss to coat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Gradually add in sugar, beating until well blended.
- Beat eggs into mixture one at a time. Add mashed bananas, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- Pour about ⅓ of the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of the chocolate chip and walnut mixture. Pour an additional ⅓ of batter over. Sprinkle with remaining chip/nut mixture and top with remaining batter.
- Bake banana bread for about 55-60 minutes, until edges are turning golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack and cool.
- Recipe from Epicurious