Need a little extra sunshine in your morning? This Blueberry Lemon Bread makes for a bright and delicious breakfast or afternoon snack and pairs perfectly with tea or coffee.
(This recipe for Blueberry Lemon Bread was originally published in January 2012, but was updated with new photos in 2019).
There's nothing I love more than waking up in the morning knowing that I have something delicious waiting in the kitchen for breakfast. After a week filled with oatmeal and cereal (AKA boringness), I wanted something that would have me a little more excited to get out of bed. I decided to make a blueberry lemon bread figuring it would be just the alarm clock I needed.
Simple and tasty, you can slather it with some melted butter and enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea for the perfect start to any day. Plus, I just love the blueberry/lemon flavor combo! The bread definitely has a summery feel, so it will bring a whole lot of sunshine into your dark winter mornings. But it will also fit perfectly with a warm, sunny morning, too.
BLUEBERRY LEMON BREAD RECIPE
This quick bread is extremely easy to make and doesn't require any yeast or rising time. You basically just mix all the ingredients together, pour into a loaf pan, and bake away. Before long, your kitchen will be filled with a delicious lemon-y fragrance.
Start by pre-heating oven to 350 degrees and lightly greasing a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking oil.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine eggs and sugar. Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix gently until all ingredients are nicely incorporated.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour (reserve 2 Tbsp of the flour), salt, and baking powder. Now, slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the egg mixture, taking care not to over-mix.
Lightly toss the blueberries in the reserved 2 Tbsp flour to prevent them from sinking while they bread bakes.
And carefully fold them into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. And top the batter with a little bit of coarse sugar just to add some extra crunch and texture to the top of the bread.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the bread is turning golden or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I love a simple baked good, especially for breakfast. And this would also be a great bread to wrap up all pretty to bring if you're someones house guest or to just have around your own house if you have people visiting.
It's called a quick bread because it's so quick to make. It took only about 15 minutes to prep, then just baking time. Yes, the baking time is almost an hour, but you can take a break and relax while it's baking. Plus, it will make your house or apartment smell like pure delight during that baking time.
I couldn't help myself and had three slices of this blueberry lemon bread with butter right when it came out of the oven. Ooof.
It's absolutely awesome warm, but is also pretty fabulous room temperature, too. I may or may not have had peanut butter on a slice for dessert. Blueberry, lemon, and peanut butter is such an unexpectedly awesome combination.
I mean, look at all those delicious blueberries!
You can even see the lemon zest if you look closely enough. And you can most definitely taste it. Blueberry Lemon Bread
What's your favorite quick bread?
If you are looking for more quick and easy breakfast treats, check out my Tuscan Lemon Muffins or my Chai Carrot Cake Scones. And I'm dying to try this White Chocolate Banana Bread from Oh, Sweet Basil!
Blueberry Lemon Bread
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (reserve 2 Tbsp of this to toss the blueberries in)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (from one lemon)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 2 Tbsp coarse sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a 5x9" loaf pan in cooking oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine eggs and sugar. Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix gently until all ingredients are incorporated.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour (be sure to reserve 2 Tbsp of it), salt, and baking powder. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the egg mixture, taking care not to over-mix.
- Lightly toss the blueberries in reserved 2 Tbsp flour to prevent them from sinking while the bread bakes. Carefully fold blueberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with coarse sugar.
- Bake bread for 50-55 minutes, until it's nicely browned or until a toothpick comes out clean.