There aren’t many snacks better than s’mores granola bars… unless you make them Milky Way S’mores Granola Bars instead! Packed with oats, graham cracker crumbles, Milky Way bars, and mini marshmallows, these treats will be loved by kids and adults alike!
(This recipe for Milky Way S’mores Granola Bars was originally published in February 2011, but was updated with new photos in 2018).
The other day, out of the blue, I got a HUGE craving for Milky Ways and decided I must bake something that used them. There’s just something about the gooey bars of chocolate layered with caramel that could make me devour an entire bag. mmmm. I didn’t really know exactly what I wanted to bake; it was a toss up between cookies or a bar of some sort, but I knew I wanted to incorporate graham crackers and definitely marshmallows, you know, to make an extra sticky treat 🙂
I finally decided to make a s’mores granola bar, but with Milky Ways instead of simple chocolate. So much more delicious, right? You could really swap out the Milky Ways for any candy of your choice if you happen to be in the mood for something else. The options are endless!
MILKY WAY S’MORES GRANOLA BARS RECIPE
This recipe is so easy and quick to prepare. Which is perfect because that means you can be snacking on granola bars in no time at all. You’ll start by making the granola bar crust, which is simply old fashioned oats, graham crackers, flour, butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Pat the wet mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 pan.
And then simply sprinkle the chopped Milky Ways and mini marshmallows on top before popping in the oven. The chocolate will get all melty and the marshmallows toasty.
Let them cool and then slice and serve! You can cut them into traditional granola bar shapes if you want, but I like cutting them into squares.
Did you grow up eating Chewy Granola Bars? These are so similar to the S’mores Chewy bars! Except way better because they’re topped with candy bars instead of simple chocolate chips.
The fun addition of Milky Ways, with their nugget and caramel, add a bit more stickiness and uniqueness to the bars, versus using just regular chocolate chips. These are the perfect dessert bites and will definitely be a crowd-pleaser. Or just a great snack to have around the house for a few days… they store really well in an air-tight container!
They’re also a great solution for using up any leftover Halloween candy you might have laying around the house. Like I mentioned, you can use any type of candy in these… Even a fun combinationof anything you have left. I want to make a Reese’s version, along with Butterfinger, Snickers, and Midnight Milky Ways. YUM.
These Milky Way s’mores granola bars are sure to be a hit for kids and adults alike. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t be excited to have one of these hiding in their lunchbox during the school or workday. Just be sure to keep yourself away from the whole pan because they can be quite addictive!
What candy would you add to s’mores granola bars?
Milky Way S'mores Granola Bars
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter,
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (from 6 graham cracker sheets)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup roughly chopped Milky Ways (from about 16 Milky Way Minis)
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9×9 inch square baking pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with brown, sugar and maple syrup. When the sugar is dissolved, transfer the mixture to a large heatproof bowl.
- Stir in flour, oats, graham cracker crumbs, salt, and cinnamon, until all ingredients are covered in the butter mixture.
- Press the oat/butter mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle chopped Milky Ways and mini marshmallows over the top.
- Bake granola bars for 15 minutes. Let cool in pan before slicing into squares or bars.
- Recipe adapted from JoyofBaking.com