These Mint Chocolate Brownies will make everyone in the world fall in love with the mint chocolate flavor combination. They're ooey, gooey, and perfectly fudgy and minty!
(This recipe for Mint Chocolate Brownies was originally published in June 2008, but was updated with new photos in 2018).
Call me crazy, but I feel like the mint/chocolate combination is one of the most divisive in the world. People either LOVE it or HATE it. I can't get enough of it and can't stand to see anymore mint chocolate hate.
So, I'm offering you these mint chocolate brownies, which I think you'll try and then automatically agree that mint and chocolate go together more than anything in the world (aside from peanut butter and chocolate, of course).
I recently made these mint brownies for some company I had visiting because I wanted to whip something up quickly for them to snack on right when they got into town. The recipe is pretty basic and quick to make, but with their perfectly gooey and minty center, they totally hit the spot!
Mint Chocolate Brownies Recipe
This is an easy recipe, but the brownie batter is way more delicious than average because it's made with actual melted chocolate instead of just cocoa powder. Melted chocolate will always make your brownies way more fudge-y and decadent. And they're really not that much more difficult to make.
Simply put butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (alternatively, you can use a double broiler). Stir butter/chocolate occasionally just until both are melted, about 4- 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk sugar and salt into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Whisk in eggs until fully combined. Gently whisk in flour and cocoa powder just until smooth, taking care not to over-mix.
Once you have the batter made, you'll pour a third of it into an 8x8 baking dish and then layer on your peppermint patties. Then pour the rest of the batter over the top before baking.
This is one brownie recipe where I definitely licked the spoon!
We should also talk a little bit about how underrated peppermint patty candies are. Man, I could eat so many of these!
Bake away, let cool, and then slice mint chocolate brownies into squares. Little squares because these are SO incredibly rich
But in the best way possible. They're seriously ooey gooey and everything you really want in a brownie. Plus MINT! If you think you don't like the mint chocolate flavor combination, I still insist that you try these mint chocolate brownies because something tells me you might change your mind.
The chocolate is so rich and dark and the mint is such a nice light complement to it. Balance is everything in life, my friends!
How do you feel about the mint chocolate flavor combination?
If you love the mint chocolate combination, check out these recipes for Mint Oreo Ice Cream and Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes. I also can't wait try these Andes Mint Chocolate Cookies from Oh, Sweet Basil!
Mint Chocolate Brownies
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 16 small (1 ½-inch) peppermint patties
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and butter and line an 8x8 baking pan with foil, so it's overhanging on all sides. Butter foil as well.
- Put butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (alternatively, use a double broiler). Stir butter/chocolate occasionally just until both are melted, about 4- 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk sugar and salt into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Whisk in eggs until fully combined. Gently whisk in flour and cocoa powder just until smooth, taking care not to over-mix.
- Spread ⅓ of the chocolate batter in the bottom of prepared pan. Place peppermint patties on top of the batter in a single layer, leaving a small border on all sides. Pour the remaining batter over the top of the peppermint patties and smooth surface.
- Bake for 38-42 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean/with moist crumbs attached.
- Let brownies cool completely in pan. Once cool, use foil to lift out of pan and place on cutting board. Cut brownies into 16 squares.
- Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Delicious-looking snack treats and a cute roomie.
This is how I like to start my blog-reading day.
I want these. Now.
I have been DYING to try to make these for a friend of mine who is Junior Mint-crazy! Now I think I'm going to do it...her birthday party is Friday! Well played!
looks so good, and surprisingly easy!
Oh my mom used to make those, they are sooo delicious. Will you girls come have a baking party at my house?
whoa those look amazing...do you have any leftovers? 🙂
They look absolutely incredible.
yuuuuuumm.. not a fan of mint with chocolate but this looks like its worth a try.. anything chewy and goowy is worth it to me!
Wilhelmina Wessel says
These look so rich and gooey! Perfect!
These look amazing!! We are huge mint fans in our house.