This avocado egg toast is topped with roasted tomatoes and prosciutto, making it an incredibly satisfying and delicious breakfast... And also perfect for breakfast for dinner!
(This recipe for Avocado Prosciutto Egg Toast was originally posted in January 2013, but was updated with new photos in 2018).
While they've obviously been pretty popular for years, doesn't it seem like the avocado craze has gained even more momentum in the last year or so? Just the other day I saw news of a NYC bagel spot that sells avocado cream cheese (read: best idea ever!) and then a couple hours later I saw a tweet about an avocado hummus at Trader Joe's. I personally can't get enough avocado and can only dream about the possibility of having enough time in the morning to make an Avocado Coffee Milkshake every day. And I still make my Avocado Spinach Egg Salad like pretty much all the time. Basically, an avocado a day… makes me happy. And I bet they make you happy, too.
If you are dreading the day ahead, I'm thinking this Avocado Prosciutto Egg Toast is the perfect way to start, warding off all evil dangers ahead. Then again, it always helps if you have someone who will whip this up for you at 7 a.m. Wouldn't that just be the most fabulous thing in the world? I don't know who first started eating avocado toast, but now it seems like everyone and their mother is doing it. I LOVE it, but wanted something more to fill me up in the morning (you don't even want to know how ridiculously hungry I get if I don't eat protein-packed foods every couple hours).
You guys, as I was writing this, no joke, I saw a tweet about an Avocado Margarita. Seriously? As if I needed my point proven even more. I'm a bit uncertain about this one, but as it involves tequila AND avocados, I think it's pretty much a go. Annnd the perfect companion to this breakfast. Who needs coffee anyway? Gahd, I love Twitter for helping me make these discoveries when I'm not even looking. It's a beautiful place.
AVOCADO EGG TOAST WITH PROSCIUTTO AND ROASTED TOMATOES RECIPE
Quick, easy and all-around amazing, there's nothing difficult about this avocado egg toast recipe. The tomatoes take the longest amount of time, but you can easily roast them ahead of time if you want. I popped mine in the oven the night before I made this brunch, roasting them at 375 degrees on a foil-lined cookie sheet. And then I popped them in a Tupperware container so they'd be ready in the morning. I'm all about saving time in the morning and still enjoying a delicious breakfast!
The only thing left to do is mash your avocado with a bit of lime juice and some salt and pepper (basically a poor man's guacamole!) and poach the eggs. Poaching eggs gets A LOT easier the more you do it and it's one of my favorite ways to enjoy eggs in the morning. The only tough part is waiting for the water to boil.
Once the individual components are prepped, it's time to assemble that beautiful avocado egg toast.
Start by spreading generous layer of avocado (slash guacamole!) onto each slice of toast. Then top with roasted tomatoes.
Add a healthy dose of prosciutto. And an egg, of course!
The result is a super easy meal, but one that's perfectly delicious. And satisfying to the very core. I mean, does this meal not have all the food groups in it? Really, it does. Unless you consider avocados and tomatoes to both be fruits… Then I suppose we're missing out on vegetables. Close enough, though, right?
A coffee on the side makes this the most complete meal ever. And one that I'd be perfectly happy to see on my dinner table, as well. Because breakfast for dinner is always a good idea... Especially when it comes to avocado egg toast with prosciutto!
Oh, avocado. How is it that I want you more than butter, cream cheese, hummus, or anything else I can think of? It's just not right, but it's so fine with me. Especially when eggs are involved. Perfectly cooked poached eggs with yolks that are extra runny.
If there's one thing better than avocado toast, it's avocado toast soaked in egg yolk. OK, I guess the prosciutto doesn't hurt either!
It's suddenly no question how avocado toast got so popular so quickly. I also can't fault anyone for wanting to sip an avocado margarita.
What's your favorite way to eat avocado? And furthermore, would you drink an avocado margarita?
Avocado Prosciutto Egg Toast
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices ciabatta bread (or other crusty bread), toasted
- 4 slices prosciutto
- Pre-heat oven (or toaster oven) to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place tomatoes on baking sheet, lightly brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for about 30-35 minutes, until tomatoes are blistered and starting to burst.
- While tomatoes are roasting, place avocado in a small bowl and mash, along with lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, along with white vinegar and a pinch of salt. Crack eggs into an individual ramekin one at a time.
- Carefully, set egg into boiling water. Repeat with other eggs, working in batches if you don't have enough space for all 4 eggs at once. Remove saucepan from heat and let eggs cook for about 4 minutes until yolks are just set. Remove from water with slotted spoon to a paper towel-covered plate.
- Spread a generous layer of mashed avocado onto each slice of toast. Top each slice with roasted tomatoes, a slice of prosciutto, and an egg. Top with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, if desired.