An easy weeknight dinner that’s also fit for company? These Chipotle-Rubbed Grilled Salmon Tacos are delicious for any occasion. Plus, the apple cucumber salsa adds the perfect crunch!
(This recipe for Chipotle-Rubbed Grilled Salmon Tacos was originally published in March 2011, but was updated with new photos and content in 2020).
The other day, I saw a picture of fish tacos online and got an instant and serious craving for them. As in, I dreamt about them at night. And thought about them upon waking up. So, of course, I decided I had to make them for dinner immediately.But
I wanted something a bit more unique than the typical fish taco. At first, I thought about doing tilapia or a white fish, but then I got the idea to use salmon instead. I ended up finding a recipe on Food and Wine for Chipotle-Rubbed Salmon Tacos. Which included an apple-cucumber salsa. Helloooooo, heavenly dinner!
I actually started cooking at about 4:45pm because I was so excited to eat. Also, I’ve had a margarita mix from Crate and Barrel sitting in my kitchen, staring at me, for a few weeks and thought tonight would be the perfect night for a delicious dinner and a frozen margarita.
And after a long week, this girl needed a night in with good food, a few laughs, and my friends from The Bachelor (jk they’re not there to make friends!). Don’t judge.
CHIPOTLE-RUBBED GRILLED SALMON TACOS WITH APPLE CUCUMBER SALSA RECIPE
One of the best things about these grilled salmon tacos? They look kind of fancy, but they’re super easy to make! That means they’re perfect for both a weeknight dinner or a dinner party with friends.
There are a couple steps to follow, but they mostly consist of mixing ingredients together. And cooking the salmon (which, in case you didn’t know, is super easy!). Then you just assemble the tacos and you’re good to go!
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and lime juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a separate small bowl, mix together the orange zest, sugar, and the chili powder.
Rub each piece of salmon with about a teaspoon of olive oil followed by the chili powder mixture and let it stand for about 10 minutes or so.
Before grilling the salmon, place your tortillas in foil and bake for 8 minutes until they’re warmed through.
Place your salmon in a grill pan over high heat and let cook on each side for about 3 minutes per side, until they’re deliciously browned and cooked through. Mmmm.
With a pair of tongs or your spatula, gently break the salmon into smaller pieces.
Now make that apple cucumber salsa! Again, it’s super easy and just requires some chopping of the apples, cucumbers, red pepper, and red onion and mixing everything together.
To build the tacos, simply spread a layer of the mashed avocado on the tortilla and top it with the chipotle salmon, apple cucumber salsa, and a small handful of cabbage. A drizzle of the lime mayonnaise seals the deal and makes this the perfect Thursday night dinner.
These grilled salmon tacos could happen in my kitchen whenever it wants to. Really. They felt like vacation.
But see how pretty they are? Wouldn’t they also be super fun for serving at a dinner party? I’m all about different variations on tacos (I could eat a form of taco every single night!) and these grilled salmon tacos just shot way high up on my list.
And you know that eating the rainbow is one of the best things you can do for your health. Not only are you getting your omega-3s, you’re also packing in lots of vitamins thanks to the brightly colored veggies in these chipotle salmon tacos.
I love that the apple cucumber salsa adds a nice crunch and and mashed avocado and mayo/lime juice drizzle a little creaminess.
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner that’s also fit for company, make these chipotle-rubbed grilled salmon tacos ASAP!
And if your goal is to eat a different taco every night (wanna do it with me??), you can start with my Flank Steak Tacos with Strawberry Mint Salsa or my Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos. And I can’t wait to make these Crockpot Chicken Tacos from Julie’s Eats and Treats!
What’s your favorite easy, but “fancy” dinner?
Chipotle-Rubbed Grilled Salmon Tacos
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 lb. salmon filet, skins removed and cut in half
- 1 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- Apple Cucumber Salsa (recipe below)
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
Apple Cucumber Salsa
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and roughly diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and roughly diced
- 1/2 small red onion, roughly diced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, roughly diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and lime juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the orange zest, sugar, and the chili powder.
- Rub each piece of salmon with about a teaspoon of olive oil followed by the chili powder mixture and let it stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes or so.
- Before grilling the salmon, place your tortillas in foil and bake for 8 minutes until they’re warmed through.
- Place your salmon in a grill pan over high heat and let cook on each side for about 3 minutes per side, until they’re deliciously browned. With a pair of tongs or your spatula, gently break the salmon into smaller pieces.
- To build tacos, spread a layer of mashed avocado on a tortilla and top it with the chipotle-rubbed salmon, apple cucumber salsa, a small handful of cabbage, and a drizzle of the lime mayonnaise.
Apple Cucumber Salsa
- In a bowl, toss apple, cucumber, onion, and red pepper. Stir in vinegar and sugar and season with salt.
- Recipe lightly adapted from Food & Wine.