These Glazed Lemon Cookies are so bright and happy with the perfect balance of sweet and tart, you’ll want to bottle them up for some instant sunshine on a gloomy day!
(This recipe for Glazed Lemon Cookies was originally published in May 2011, but was updated with new photos in 2018).
When I want dessert, I want dessert. Chocolate. Cookies. Ice Cream. Cake. All sans fruit, please. Don’t get me wrong; I’m a huge lover of fruit, I just like to keep it away from my desserts. Usually. Of course, fruit, and especially citrus, is so light and summery and sometimes I can’t resist making a fruity dessert. And occasionally, I actually fall in love with a fruity dessert. Like these glazed lemon cookies.
From this year on, I think I’ll have to make these at the advent of every spring. And maybe even in the dead of winter when I’m desperately craving some spring. If I close my eyes tightly enough, I’m pretty sure I could convince myself the sun is shining, birds are chirping, and it’s imperative that I get my AC serviced as soon as possible. These lemon cookies are that powerful. Try them yourself if you need more convincing.
GLAZED LEMON COOKIES RECIPE
The best part about these cookies? They’re incredibly easy to make and will be ready in no time at all. Meaning, whenever a craving hits or you need a little sunshine in your life, you can have it within the hour. The batter is simple, but packed with lemon zest and lemon juice. It doesn’t need to chill or anything, so right when it’s ready, you can pop it in the oven.
And while the cookies are baking, you can prepare the glaze, which requires one bowl and about 3 minutes. My kitchen smelled like so much lemon happiness at this moment.
And then you’re ready to bite into a light, refreshing glazed lemon cookie. These are totally the kind of cookies you could eat 10 of, no problem. They’re soft, but with a little bit of crisp around the edges. Just how I like them.
And they’re incredibly tangy and lemony without being too pucker your lips sour.
You should definitely add these lemon cookies to your must-make cookie list. You do have one of those, don’t you? If not, start one now. These cookies are quick and super simple, but totally tasty. Perfect for if you’re invited to a last-minute summer BBQ or party and need something to bring along. I don’t know about you, but I almost always have all the ingredients necessary for these cookies in my pantry and fridge.
Now, I wonder how these cookies would taste with some chocolate chips involved. Just kidding. Kind of. (Seriously though, white chocolate? Now, that could be awesome).
Are you a fruity dessert person or do you prefer your fruit more as a healthy snack?
Glazed Lemon Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon Glaze (recipe below)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or other large bowl with a hand mixer or whisk, beat the butter and sugar together, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- On an un-greased cookie sheet, drop dough by the tablespoon about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for about 15-20 minutes, until edges are golden. Let cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- When cookies are completely cooled, spread with lemon glaze.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice, until smooth.