Looking for a love potion this Valentine’s Day? Just add strawberry vanilla simple syrup, vodka, and lime juice for this Strawberry Vanilla Love Potion Cocktail! Top it with conversation hearts for February 14 or enjoy it with a loved one any day of the year.
(This recipe for Strawberry Vanilla Love Potion Cocktail was originally published in February 2017, but has updated with new photos and content in 2021).
One of the reasons I’m sad the holiday season is over is because I miss the cocktails. With ingredients like cranberries, eggnog, gingerbread, and peppermint, Christmas cocktails are such a thing. And an amazing thing at that.
But can someone please tell me why there aren’t any classic Valentine’s Day cocktails? Of course, you can do strawberries and champagne, but that’s kind of cheesy and not very fun.
Give me the strawberries. But also give me vanilla. And vodka. OK fine, just make me this strawberry vanilla cocktail… Which I’m calling a love potion cocktail. Because is this cocktail doesn’t make you fall in love, I don’t think anything will.
Be sure to top the strawberry vanilla cocktail with conversation hearts. Because even if you don’t care for them, you know conversation hearts make everything a little bit more fun during the Valentine’s Day season.
Plus, you can send your crush or loved ones subliminal messages with them.
How to make Strawberry Vanilla Simple Syrup
This cocktail is an easy one and consists of just strawberry vanilla simple syrup, vodka, and lime juice.
You will want to make the simple syrup a little bit ahead of time so so it has time to cool to room temperature and sit with the vanilla bean, but if you make a whole batch of it (or a double batch!), it should last in your fridge for a few weeks.
To make the simple syrup, Combine water and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
Lower to a simmer and add strawberries to saucepan. Stir to combine. Let simmer until sugar is dissolved and syrup begins to thicken, about 10-12 minutes.
Remove from heat and strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, into a heatproof container like a bowl or a mason jar.
Add one vanilla bean to container and place in fridge to cool for at least three hours before using.
How to Make Strawberry Vanilla Cocktail
Now for the rest of the “love potion” cocktail. All you have to do is shake it up!
Add to an ice-filled cocktail shaker:
- 5 oz. vodka
- 3 oz. strawberry vanilla simple syrup
- 1 oz. lime juice
And shake away!
Pour into ice-filled glasses. And top off with a little bit of soda water.
Oh, and also top the cocktails off with some sliced strawberries and conversation hearts! If you’re making this drink for a loved one, you can strategically place the ideal conversation hearts in their drink for them.
As you know, I’ll take any opportunity to utilize conversation hearts that I can. And heart straws!
I couldn’t find traditional conversation hearts this year and I think they’ve changed them to being more Sweet-Tart style. Which I honestly kind of like. But I miss the look of the old hearts.
One of the things I love about this strawberry vanilla cocktail is that it’s easy to control the level of sweetness of it by adjusting the amount of simple syrup you use. Or simply adding more soda water into the glass to top it off… Or vodka.
But I think Valentine’s Day deserves a little extra sweetness. Plus, don’t you imagine love potions being super sweet and really delicious? This love potion cocktail needs to fit the bill!
And I think this strawberry vanilla cocktail should now be known as the classic Valentine’s Day cocktail.
More Valentine’s Day Cocktails
If strawberries and vanilla aren’t quite your thing (but who are you?!), I have some more cocktail recipes that may be more up your alley for celebrating Valentine’s Day. Here are some of my favorites:
- Blueberry Vodka Lemonade
- Blood Orange Habanero Cocktail
- Pink Peppercorn Strawberry Sipper
- Manhattan Dirty Bloody Mary Martini
- Berry Mint Gin Smash
- Strawberry Coconut Daiquiri
- Cherry Pie Cocktail (from Simply Whisked)
- Red Russian (from Become Betty)
It may not be love potion #9, but perhaps this strawberry vanilla love potion cocktail can help you find your way to true love!
What’s your ideal Valentine’s Day cocktail?
Strawberry Vanilla Love Potion Cocktail
- 5 oz. vodka
- 3 oz. strawberry vanilla simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1 oz. lime juice
- Soda water, for topping
Strawberry Simple Syrup:
- 1 cups water
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup hulled and chopped strawberries
- 1 vanilla bean
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add vodka, strawberry vanilla simple syrup, and lime juice. Shake well.
- Pour mixture into two glasses filled with ice.
- Top with soda water and additional sliced strawberries, conversation hearts, or anything else you desire.
Strawberry Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Combine water and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and add strawberries to saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Let simmer until sugar is dissolved and syrup begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, into a heatproof container like a bowl or a mason jar.
- Add one vanilla bean to container and place in fridge to cool for at least three hours before using.