Nachos and coffee? With these Breakfast Nachos, made with pita chips, scrambled eggs, and bacon, you'll love the idea of eating nachos first thing in the morning!
Let me be clear that I have no objections to you eating any kind of nachos at any time of day. If you want full-on ground beef, taco seasoning, salsa-filled nachos at 8:00 a.m., you do you. I've got nothing but respect.
But if you're more of a "breakfast food at breakfast time" kind of person, these breakfast nachos may be more your speed at 8:00 a.m. After all, they are packed with the kinds of ingredients that are already morning-approved.
OK, I guess the sour cream could be debatable. But hey, don't knock it until you try it. In any event, these nachos could be just the motivator you need to get out of bed in the morning.
Breakfast Nacho Ingredients:
One of the beautiful things about nachos is that you can make them however you want. Basically, chooses your chip, make your favorite style eggs, and add on your favorite accompaniments and you're in business.
You are welcome to follow my recipe exactly or make your own swaps. Here's what I included with my breakfast nachos:
- Homemade Pita Chips
- Scrambled Eggs
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crispy Bacon
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Avocado
- Sour Cream
How to Make Homemade Pita Chips
I opted to make my own pita chips for these nachos. You can certainly buy store-bought pita chips... Or even use tortilla chips if you prefer!
There was something in my brain telling me pita chips were more acceptable at breakfast time than tortilla chips. But also, I've totally eaten tortilla chips for breakfast before (chilaquiles, anyone??).
There are lots of different ways you can make homemade pita chips, but for this method, I recommend preheating oven to 400 degrees and lightly brushing two large baking sheets with olive oil.
Stack pita bread on a cutting board and cut into 8 even wedges. Open each wedge to separate at the seam (each wedge should create 2 pita chips).
Arrange pita wedges on baking sheets and lightly brush tops with olive oil. Sprinkle pitas with sea salt.
Bake for 5-7 minutes until chips get crispy and turn golden.
Try not to eat all of them before you make your breakfast nachos!
How to Make Scrambled Eggs
There are also lots of methods for making scrambled eggs, but I find this way to be easy and pretty fool-proof.
Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
Add oil to a large skillet over medium-low heat and, pour egg mixture in. Let eggs sit for a couple minutes until they start to set and firm up at edges.
Using a spatula, begin to pull the eggs in from the edges to the middle of the pan. Continue this motion until eggs are cooked completely.
It's so easy and the results are delicious every time.
How to Make Breakfast Nachos
And now for the assembly. First make sure you've cooked your bacon to extra crispy (or however you like it).
And then arrange your pita chips on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Or whatever kind of cheese you want.
And bake at 350 degrees just for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
And add the rest of your toppings!
I spooned on the scrambled eggs, sprinkled on the crispy bacon, and then added some sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado, sour cream, and scallions. I drizzled on a little hot sauce, too.
Pretty much the breakfast of my dreams.
I truly believe nachos are one of the world's most perfect foods and I will absolutely never turn down any variation on them. And now? Now I can start my nacho eating earlier in the day. Isn't life wonderful?
Breakfast nachos are such a fun brunch dish for sharing. I love that every pita chip I grabbed had a little bit of cheese, some scrambled eggs, and crispy bacon.
I would never usually drink coffee with nachos, but with breakfast nachos? It's a match made in heaven.
Substitutions for Breakfast Nachos
Like I said, there are lots of substitutions you can make with these nachos
- Use tortilla chips instead of pita chips
- Make fried eggs instead of scrambled
- Slice up breakfast sausage instead of bacon (or use both!)
- Add jalapeños, salsa, or something else that's spicy
- Add hash browns or breakfast potatoes
But if you stick to my recipe and make them exactly as I did, I promise you won't be disappointed. These are definitely worth getting out of bed for!
The only bummer is that they don't stay fresh in the fridge (they get soggy), so you really need to serve them right after you make them. You can, however. make the pita chips ahead of time and keep them in an airtight container.
So, in the morning, all you have to do is make the scrambled eggs and bacon, arrange the pita chips, and top them with all the goodness. Easy!
More Unique Breakfast Ideas
I love switching things up with my morning meal (especially on the weekends) and these breakfast nachos are just one recipe I'm enjoying right now. Here are some of my other favorite fun breakfast recipes:
- Breakfast Risotto
- Fruity Pebbles Crepes
- Piña Colada Bircher Muesli
- Hummus Breakfast Bowls
- Bubble Waffle Banana Split Tacos
- Mocha Overnight Oats
- Eggs Benedict Pizza
- Honey Vanilla Baked Pears (from Celebrating Sweets)
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Casserole (from Joyous Apron)
I'm pretty sure these breakfast nachos are just what your weekend ordered. But to be honest, they're even better on a Monday morning when you're finding it particularly difficult to get out of bed!
Do you stick to traditional "breakfast" foods in the morning?
- pita chips (recipe below or about 48 store-bought pita chips)
- 1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 strips bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- ⅓ cup sliced tomatoes
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Hot sauce, optional
Homemade Pita Chips
- 3 pita rounds
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange pita chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Place in oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-low heat and, pour egg mixture in. Let eggs sit for a couple minutes until they start to set and firm up at edges. Using a spatula, begin to pull the eggs in from the edges to the middle of the pan. Continue this motion until eggs are cooked completely.
- Scoop scrambled eggs over pita chips. Sprinkle on crumbled bacon and add avocado, sliced tomatoes, sour cream, and scallions. Drizzle with hot sauce, if desired.
Homemade Pita Chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly brush two large baking sheets with olive oil.
- Stack pita bread on a cutting board and cut into 8 even wedges. Open each wedge to separate at the seam (each wedge should create 2 pita chips).
- Arrange pita wedges on baking sheets and lightly brush tops with olive oil. Sprinkle pitas with sea salt.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until chips get crispy and turn golden.
- You can make pita chips ahead of time and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.