Want to make your whole candy-loving family happy? These M&M Pancakes are incredibly easy to make, filled with bright colors and chocolate flavor and so fun to eat for breakfast!
Is candy for breakfast ever acceptable? You know my vote is always going to be yes. Especially on weekends and during the Halloween season!
I probably wouldn't recommend eating candy before a long day of school or work, but don't we all need a treat sometimes?
These M&M pancakes are the perfect candy breakfast treat that will bring a smile to your face first thing in the morning.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
If you love the idea of candy for breakfast, you need to try these M&M pancakes! The thing is, they're not all that different from a standard chocolate chip pancake, which is a generally agreed upon acceptable weekend breakfast.
But M&Ms are just more fun than plain chocolate chips thanks to the bright rainbow colors of their candy coatings. They also have a little crunch and look pretty as a pancake topping, too.
Plus, your kids will think it's so cool you're letting them eat candy for breakfast!
These pancakes are super easy to make and can be ready in no time at all. And after you try these, you should also try my Cake Mix Pancakes.
Aside from the standard pancake ingredients, you just need some M&Ms! You can really use any kind you want (there are SO many M&M flavors out these days), but I think M&M minis work best.
Here's the full list of ingredients needed (please see recipe card at the bottom of this post for ingredient amounts and full instructions):
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- M&Ms: like I said, I recommend minis, but you can use any kind
- Whipped cream: optional, but fun for topping the pancakes.
🥞 How to make M&M pancakes
If you've ever made pancakes from scratch, this recipe will be quite simple for you! And if you haven't, you'll see how easy it is.
Start by whisking together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk and vanilla extract.
Now, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until they’re just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
Some lumps are OK in pancake batter! For best results, let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes. If you don't have time to let it rest, it's not a problem.
I made these pancakes a few times and the first time, I tried folding the M&Ms into the batter. It seemed like a smart idea to me until I realized what a mistake it was.
The colors of the M&Ms immediately started bleeding into the batter and it became an ugly-colored mess. So, I don't recommend doing this!
So, I recommend waiting until your pancake batter is on the griddle before topping the batter with M&Ms.
Heat the griddle or skillet over medium heat and brush lightly with a little butter or cooking spray. Pour about ⅓ cup of batter onto it and sprinkle some M&Ms over the top of the pancake batter.
Cook for about 2 minutes, until bubbles start to form on the surface and then flip and cook for another minute, until golden brown.
Serve pancakes with whipped cream if you want and more M&Ms sprinkled over the top.
And say good morning to a decadent chocolate candy-filled breakfast. Is there any better way to start the day?
These M&M pancakes really are a dream come true and both the kids and adults in your house will love them!
They look fun with their bright rainbow colors and taste even more delicious.
🥣 Can I use pancake mix?
You can definitely use pancake mix to make these M&M pancakes! Just follow the directions on the box or bag and press the M&Ms into the batter when it's cooking.
Did you know you can even make pancakes with muffin mix?
🍬 Can I use other varieties of M&Ms?
Yes! Like I said, I like the way the mini M&Ms look, but you can use the regular-sized M&Ms and any flavor you want. Here are some tasty ideas:
- Peanut Butter M&Ms (my personal favorites! They're bigger than the standard M&M, but still fun in pancakes)
- Crunchy Cookie M&Ms
- Holiday M&Ms (these are standard M&Ms, but in red and green colors to get you in the holiday spirit- perfect for Christmas morning pancakes!)
- Fudge Brownie M&Ms
- Pretzel M&Ms (also use crushed pretzels on top of the pancakes)
- Caramel M&Ms (top the pancakes with caramel sauce)
Of course, you can also use Valentine's Day M&Ms or Halloween M&Ms for special pancakes on their respective holidays. Or use the color combo of your choice to celebrate a sports team or a school graduation!
🎉 Other topping or add-in ideas
If you want to make these M&M pancakes even more fun, there's lots you can do! Here are some ideas:
- Maple syrup: I don't even think these pancakes need maple syrup, but I also never turn down real maple syrup when it comes to pancakes for breakfast!
- Rainbow sprinkles: If you're celebrating a birthday or special occasion, add additional fun and color with rainbow sprinkles.
- Chocolate chips: for extra chocolate flavor, you can mix a combination of M&Ms and chocolate chips into the batter and as a topping.
- Chocolate syrup: These pancakes would be extra awesome with chocolate syrup drizzled over the top.
- Fruit: Get a little nutrition in with all the chocolate by combining with banana, strawberries, or blueberries.
- Cocoa powder: You can make these chocolate M&M pancakes by adding a little cocoa powder to the batter! I recommend using about ¼ cup cocoa powder and omitting about 2 Tbsp of the flour.
No matter how use serve these, they're sure to be a hit with your whole candy-loving family!
The next time you're thinking about making chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, make these M&M pancakes instead!
Or check out more of my delicious pancake recipes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&Ms, plus more for topping
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until they’re just combined, taking care not to over-mix. Some lumps are OK. Let batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and brush lightly with a little butter or cooking spray. Pour about ⅓ cup of batter onto it and sprinkle some M&Ms over the top of the pancake batter. Cook for about 2 minutes, until bubbles start to form on the surface and then flip and cook for another minute, until golden brown.
- Serve pancakes with whipped cream and more M&Ms sprinkled over the top.
- If you want to use boxed pancake mix to make these, just follow the package directions and add M&Ms to the batter when it's cooking on the griddle/skillet.