These Rock Candy Cocktails are incredibly easy to make with just a few ingredients. The pretty drinks are simple vodka sodas with a rock candy stick stirred in for a little sweetness and fun color!
Raise your hand if you're looking for a super pretty, incredibly fun cocktail that also happens to be ridiculously easy to make.
This rock candy cocktail is brightly colored, just a little bit sweet, and so easy to prepare.
You're never going to want a simple vodka soda again... You're going to want a rock candy cocktail! In fact, I wouldn't even blame you if you started bringing sticks of rock candy to the bar with you so you can stir them into your drinks.
What You Need
These rock candy cocktails are SUPER simple and you don't need much to make them. Really, you only need 3 ingredients.... 4 if you want to add on the fun candy rim!
Here's what you need:
- Rock Candy: Of course, this is an essential ingredient! I have a whole guide teaching you how to make your own. But if you don't want to wait for the crystals to form (it can take about a week), you can purchase rock candy in most candy stores or online. I actually used this rock candy for the cocktail photos in this post.
- Vodka: You can use any kind of vodka you want, but Tito's is my vodka of choice!
- Soda Water: You can also use any soda/sparkling water you like best (I love LaCroix!).
- Pop Rocks: These are optional, but I used Pop Rocks to rim the glasses since I thought it was a fun way to add to the candy theme of the drink. OK, I actually used these generic Pop Rocks because I wanted a good variety of colors for a good price. They are pretty much the same as regular Pop Rocks!
If you don't want to use Pop Rocks, but still want a pretty glass, you can simply use some colored sanding sugar.
How to Make Rock Candy Cocktail
To make the prettiest drink possible, you'll start by rimming your glasses in either Pop Rocks or sanding sugar.
Brush the rims with a little bit of simple syrup, agave, or honey and then place glasses upside down on a plate of Pop Rocks or sanding sugar to coat.
It's super easy, though Pop Rocks do make a little bit of a mess... And will immediately start popping!
You can use any colors you want -- I chose to match the Pop Rocks colors to the rock candy.
Already your cocktail looks like it's headed straight to candy land!
Now it's as simple as making a vodka soda!
Fill glasses with ice and pour in vodka. Fill the rest of the glass with soda water. I recommend using about 2 oz. vodka and 5 oz. soda water, but definitely use whatever ratio you like best.
Add in your rock candy stick stirrer.
After just a few minutes, the rock candy will start to dissolve and will turn the vodka soda a pretty color, while also adding a yummy sweetness.
I'm obsessed with these rock candy cocktails for your next party. If your event has a theme or color, you can match the rock candy colors to it.
If you're celebrating a holiday, a sports team, or a school graduation, purchase or make rock candy in the appropriate colors and stir them into your drinks!
How to Make Rock Candy Cocktails for Kids
There's a strong chance you're looking at these cocktails and thinking, "ooh my kids would love these!" Not only do most kids love rock candy, but it's also a super fun science project to make rock candy with kids.
Obviously, kids can't have vodka, but these drink are incredibly easy to adjust for kids or for anyone who doesn't drink alcohol. Just leave the vodka out!
Adding a rock candy stick to soda water will give it a little sweetness and fun color and will look just like the photos.
You could also use Sprite or 7-Up, but the candy definitely adds enough sugar to the drink as is.
Alternative Rock Candy Drink Recipes
If you don't love vodka soda, there are plenty of other ways you can make this drink. Here are a few ideas of drinks you can make and stir a stick of rock candy into:
- Gin and Tonic
- Traditional Mojito
- Tom Collins
- White Wine (or a spritzer)
No matter what your alcohol of choice is, you can find a rock candy cocktail that would be perfect for you.
Just make your favorite clear drink and stir the rock candy stick in. Just remember the candy will add sweetness to the drink and, in some cases, flavor.
I never want to drink a boring clear cocktail again! Rock candy just makes everything so much more fun.
So do Pop Rocks.
Every bar should start serving candy cocktails!
Rock Candy Cocktail
- Pop Rocks, for garnish
- 2 oz. vodka
- 5 oz. soda water
- 1 stick rock candy
- Brush the rim of your glass with simple syrup, agave, or honey. Place Pop Rocks on a small plate. Rotate glass upside-down on plate to coat rims in Pop Rocks.
- Fill glass with ice and pour in vodka. Fill the rest of the way with soda soda water.
- Add in a stick of rock candy and serve!
- You can use colored sanding sugar in place of Pop Rocks or leave rims plain.
- If you don't like vodka soda, you can make any clear cocktail and stir rock candy in.