This super simple salad pairs blueberries and feta together... And it's a summer match made in heaven! Served over mixed greens and drizzled with a honey dijon vinaigrette, this salad makes the perfect side or light lunch.
(This recipe was originally published in July 2010, but was updated with new photos in 2021).
It's 98 degrees in Boston right now and I literally feel like I'm in a 350 degree oven... baking.
Not only am I refusing to leave my apartment, but I'm also refusing to put a lot of effort into cooking today. So, I opened up my fridge to see what I could work with.
And... It wasn't much. But? Sometimes the simplest of ingredients make for the very best meals. And that was exactly the case with this blueberry and feta salad.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you've ever had feta cheese and watermelon before, you know how fantastic the crumbly salty cheese goes with slightly sweet juicy fruit.
But have you ever tried feta with blueberries before? I love it just as much as feta and watermelon and it's a perfect match made in summer heaven! I also love mango and feta together!
Because blueberries and feta go so well together, you really don't need to add much else to this salad. I simply used a mix of spring greens and a homemade honey dijon vinaigrette.
It's one of the easiest meals ever and also one that's extremely versatile. Top it with salmon or chicken if you want to add some protein or eat it as is for a light summer lunch or side dish!
You don't need much for this salad to come together! Here's what I used:
- Fresh Blueberries
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Spring Greens (or your favorite lettuce mix)
- Dressing (I made a honey dijon vinaigrette, but you can also use a store-bought dressing if you choose)
If you do want to make the honey dijon vinaigrette, here's what you need:
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Blueberry Feta Salad
Like most salads, this is so easy to make, you probably don't even need instructions.
Just combine the salad ingredients, drizzle on the dressing, and toss together.
Easy peasy is all I can handle when the temperatures are reaching 100!
How to Make Honey Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing
If you've never made your own dressing before, it's also fantastically easy!
All you need to do is lightly whisk all of the ingredients together.
If you prefer, you can put all the ingredients into a jar, cover the jar, and shake to combine.
And lunch is served!
Of course, this blueberry and feta salad also makes a really nice side salad that pairs wonderfully with steak, chicken, and many other meals. Make a big bowl of it at your next summer dinner party!
Something tells me your guests will all be raving... And you'll laugh to yourself because you know how seriously simple it is to make!
Alterations to Salad
Like most salads, this blueberry and feta salad is incredibly versatile. There are so many substitutes you can make or things you can add to it to make it more substantial. Here are some of my recommendations:
- Top it with a protein like grilled chicken or salmon
- Sprinkle in nuts or seeds like almonds or sunflower seeds
- Add in more fruit like mango, strawberry, or apple
- Add in avocado for some healthy fat
More Feta Recipes
I love feta so much that it's probably the most common cheese I use in my recipes.
If you love it as much as I do, try some of my other favorite feta recipes:
- Mango and Feta Salad
- Corn Cakes with Feta
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Lemon, Pomegranate, and Feta
- Chicken Avocado Burritos with Feta Sauce
- Shrimp and Feta Orzo Salad
- Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta, Pomegranate, and Feta
- Cheddar Cups with Avocado Feta Mousse
- Lamb Flatbread with Mint and Feta
- Egg Salad with Spinach and Feta
- Spicy Tomato Soup with Quinoa and Feta
But really, the feta and blueberry combo is such a unique and delicious flavor, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to eat feta.
More Summer Salad Recipes
If it's hot where you are and you don't feel like cooking elaborate meals, I've got plenty of summer salad recipes perfect for you! Here are some of my favorites:
- Shaved Asparagus Salad with Quinoa and Strawberries
- Watermelon Panzanella Salad
- Steak and Strawberry Salad
- Caesar Salad with Grilled Citrus Salmon
- Lemony Kale, Quinoa, and Fig Salad
- Peach and Heirloom Tomato Caprese (from Fresh Apron)
- Greek Watermelon Basil Salad (from Flavour and Savour)
It doesn't get any easier... Or summery than this!
As long as the weather remains hot, I'm going to be enjoying this salad on an at least weekly basis.
What's your favorite fruit to pair with feta?
Blueberry and Feta Salad
- 4 cups spring mixed greens (or lettuce/greens of your choice)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pinch salt
- Divide greens between two bowls and top with blueberries, feta, and a drizzle of dressing.
- Toss to combine.
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and lightly whisk together. Alternately, you can add the ingredients to a jar, cover, and shake to combine.