This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Shaw’s Supermarket. All opinions are 100% mine.
This Bacon Blue Cheese Spinach Dip can be made in individual skillets or a regular baking dish and is the perfect addition to your game day spread!
Football season is back!! And like most years, I’m totally here for the food. Can you blame me??
In all seriousness, I do enjoy a good football game (go Patriots!), but if I were forced to choose between watching the game and enjoying the game day food, I’d choose the food every time. Lucky for me, I can have both.
While tailgating may look a bit different this year, we’ll all still be able to watch the games and eat good food. And like always, when I plan my game day spreads, I’ll be working with the idea that I make some things from scratch and purchase the rest. And I always head to Shaw’s Supermarket for all my ingredients and prepared foods!
In addition to shopping in Shaw’s stores, they also offer Grocery Delivery and Pick Up for more convenient ways to shop. And bonus points for the fact that they’re the “official supermarket of the New England Patriots.” How perfect!
OK, are you ready for some football (food!!)? Below is the spread I put together for my “football is back” celebration. I purchased everything from Shaw’s, but made the bacon blue cheese spinach dips from scratch (with ingredients from Shaw’s).
I made the spinach dip in individual skillets so everyone can have their own. But if you prefer, you can make it in a regular 8×8 baking dish and let people serve their own. You can check out the recipe below!
From Shaw’s I got two kinds of chicken wings: barbecue and honey barbecue. Because every football celebration needs chicken wings and having a variety is always fun. You can find these in Shaw’s deli department.
I also served potato salad (with egg!). Shaw’s Signature Cafe® line also carries chicken salad, pasta salad, and coleslaw and all would be delicious choices as part of your game day spread.
And don’t forget the sweet treats! I included an incredible berry mix. Shaw’s always has a huge variety of fresh cut fruit bowls with everything from pineapple to apples to fresh berries.
I can never decide so I almost always purchase at least a couple to snack on throughout the week.
And chocolate chip cookies and brownies since it’s always important to have a couple baked goods to celebrate your team’s win! These are found in Shaw’s bakery department (which I’ve been known to spend way too much time in).
Now that you’ve seen the spread, let’s talk about how you can make the bacon blue cheese spinach dip!
Bacon Blue Cheese Spinach Dip Recipe
This dip is super easy to make and can be made in either individual skillets or in a 8×8 baking dish, depending on how you want to serve it. It’s the kind of party appetizer you can assemble quickly and pop in the oven right before the game is starting.
To make, you simply have to cook the onion and garlic and then sauté the fresh spinach. And yes, I like to use fresh spinach, but you can certainly use thawed frozen if you prefer.
Isn’t it always crazy how much spinach cooks down??
And then mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl. Yes, all of them, including cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, spinach, cooked onion and garlic, bacon, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Mix everything until well combined and then spoon into well-greased mini skillets or an 8×8 baking dish. I used 5″ mini cast iron skillets.
And bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until heated through and turning golden. You can also place under the broiler for 2 minutes to get the tops even more golden.
Serve with tortilla chips or crackers and the rest of your delicious game day spread.
I may or may not have also dipped some chicken wings into the bacon blue cheese spinach dip.
I feel like this spread is enough to make anyone fall in love with game day, right?? Whether you care about football or not, I think you’d be willing to sit in front of the TV for a couple hours if all of this delicious food was there, too.
And maybe, just maybe you’ll watch a little football at some point during the game. Like when the food runs out.
What are your favorite foods to enjoy while watching football?
I shop at Shaw’s Supermarket in New England, but you can also find quality game day prepared foods and ingredients at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Star Market, and Tom Thumb.
Bacon Blue Cheese Spinach Dip
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing dish
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 6 5" mini cast iron skillets or an 8×8 baking dish.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook until onions are softened and turning golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant. Move onion and garlic to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add half the spinach to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, until it's completely wilted. Add remaining spinach to skillet and continue cooking until it's all wilted as well, another 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer cooked spinach to a strainer and pressing down on it with a wooden spoon, remove as much excess water as possible. Add to bowl with onion and garlic.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, bacon, pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt to bowl. Mix everything together until well combined. Spoon mixture into prepared skillets or baking dish.
- If using 5" skillets, bake dip for 10-12 minutes, until heated through and turning golden. If using an 8×8 baking dish, bake for 20-22 minutes, until heated through and turning golden. If you want dip to get even more golden, place under broiler for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, or the dippers of your choice!