(This recipe for Red Wine Cupcakes was originally published in May 2009, but was updated with new photos and content in 2019).
RED WINE CUPCAKES RECIPE
To start, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake tins with cupcake papers. In a heatproof bowl combine cocoa powder and chocolate chips and pour in the boiling water. Using a whisk, stir the chocolate until it's all melted. It's going to be difficult for you to not grab a spoon here!
In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Then beat in each egg one at a time until combined. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then slowly add that to the chocolate mixture making sure it's all combined, but taking care not to over-mix.
Pop those in the oven for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the tin for a couple minutes before moving to baking racks to cool completely.
Red Wine Cupcakes
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cups fruity red wine (like merlot, red zinfandel, or pinot noir)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake tins with cupcake papers.
- Combine cocoa powder and chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl and pour in the boiling water. Let sit for one minute before using a whisk to stir the chocolate until it’s melted and smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat until well blended.
- In a separate medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and blend until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- Add half the chocolate mixture and half the wine and blend until just combined. Add the rest of the chocolate and the rest of the wine and blend again until just combined.
- Fill cupcake papers about ¾ of the way full (I like to use a cookie scoop to fill). Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for a couple minutes in pan before moving to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes once they're completely cooled. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in vanilla and salt.
- Add confectioners' sugar one cup at a time until completely combined.
- If you want some color to your frosting, add a couple drops of food coloring or gel in and blend well.