These Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas are incredibly easy to make and packed with summer vegetables. And did I mention they go perfectly with a cold glass of white wine?
(This recipe for Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas was originally published in July 2011, but was updated with new photos in 2018).
Like I mentioned the other day, I hadn’t been grocery shopping in a looong time, so on Tuesday I spent a good couple hours grocery store hopping buying ingredients for a handful of recipes I had bookmarked.
One of them happened to be Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas that I saw on Cooking Light. I knew the weather in Boston this week was going to be brutally hot so I wanted recipes that required little to no cooking time!
These tostadas turned out to be a great option for a sweltering hot night, as they’re filled with fresh and crunchy seasonal vegetables all wrapped up in a light tortilla.
Who wouldn’t love chicken tostadas?? But chicken tostadas made with tons of delicious summer vegetables? You’re definitely going to want to make these while you can still get your hands on fresh summer corn and zucchini!
Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas Recipe
Aside from a little bit of chopping, this recipe is ridiculously easy. Add some cumin, salt, and pepper to the chicken and sauté it, along with the corn, zucchini, and red onion.
Mix it all up with some salsa verde and cilantro (at this point, your chicken will be smelling quite delicious!). Then put your tortillas under the broiler for a minute, layer your chicken mixture on top, and finish off with some cheese before putting back under the broiler for 2 minutes to get the cheese all melty.
OK fine, I sprinkled avocado and cilantro on top before I dug in. Because what the heck is the point of Mexican food if you’re not going to eat it with avocado??
But honestly, these chicken tostadas are so delicious as is, simply because they’re packed with all those vegetables. Corn and zucchini are two veggies that just scream summer to me… And I obviously love the red onion for the splash of color it provides.
This is the kind of meal I could eat every single week during the summer and be so ridiculously happy about it.
Not to mention, it should legit take you about 30 minutes to get this on the table. Which means you can stay at the beach or pool longer instead of working away in the kitchen and still have these delicious chicken and summer vegetable tables on your table for the family to enjoy.
Orrrr you could just keep all four of them to yourself. I’m not even going to tell you what I did.
What’s your favorite Mexican-style summer meal?
Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 12 oz. chicken breast tenders, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup salsa verde (or salsa of your choice)
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- Pre-heat your oven's broiler.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground cumin, salt, and black pepper. Sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan and saute for about 3 minutes. In the same pan, add onion, corn, and zucchini. Continue to saute until chicken is cooked through, about 2 more minutes.
- Stir in salsa and 2 tablespoons of cilantro. Stirring frequently, cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Arrange two tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place baking sheet in oven and broil for one minute. Remove from oven.
- In the center of each lightly browned tortilla, add about 3/4 cup of the chicken and vegetable mixture and top with cheese. Put back in the oven and broil for 2 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining two tortillas.
- Sprinkle tostadas with remaining cilantro.
- Recipe adapted from Cooking Light