Looking for the easiest muffin recipe ever? These Muffins with Pancake Mix are incredibly easy to make and come out perfectly every time. Add in blueberries, chocolate chips, or anything you want and serve these muffins as breakfast or a snack!
Is there anything better than waking up in the morning, grabbing a cup of coffee, and then remembering you have a batch of homemade muffins waiting for you?
Making muffins from scratch isn't difficult, but you might prefer to use a mix to streamline the process or to prevent you from having to take too many ingredients out of the pantry.
Or maybe you just have an overabundance of pancake mix and are looking for some recipes to use it with. You've come to the right place!
Can You Make Muffins with Pancake Mix?
Yes, you can! Most pancake mixes are simply made up of flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt (some of them have other ingredients added in or variations of these, but they're all fairly similar).
That means that when you use a pancake mix to make muffins, you have 3 ingredients in one. I say 3 because I do recommend adding more sugar to the batter as you generally want more sugar in muffins than in pancakes (since you're not drowning them in maple syrup!).
You should note that using pancake mix to make muffins doesn't make baking them that much easier and if you have all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt on hand, you can easily make muffins from scratch without a mix!
When you use pancake mix for muffins, you'll have your flour, baking powder, and salt all in one, which cuts down on the amount of ingredients you'll need to get out.
Some pancake mixes also have canola oil in them, but I still recommend adding oil here because it will make your muffins extra moist.
Here are all the ingredients you'll need for these muffins:
- Pancake mix
- Granulated sugar (even though the pancake mix has some in it, I like my muffins to be a bit sweeter)
- Whole milk
- Vegetable oil (like canola oil)
- Any mix-ins you want
I used Annie's Organic Pancake and Waffle Mix for my muffins, but you could also use Bisquick, Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix, Krusteaz Pancake Mix, Hungry Jack Pancake Mix, etc.
What If I Don't Have Some Ingredients?
You can certainly make these muffins even more basic and simple by leaving out the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, and mix-ins, but I think they're most delicious with all four added in and I wanted to give you the best recipe for muffins with pancake mix possible.
The back of the Bisquick box actually has a basic pancake recipe with just milk and eggs added in... But it also has instructions for "ultimate pancakes" (AKA the most delicious ever), which also calls for added sugar, oil and vanilla.
And so long as you have the ingredients on hand, wouldn't you always rather have "the most delicious ever"??
Muffin Mix-In Options
In my opinion, the very best muffins have mix-ins! When I made this recipe, I experimented with blueberries and chocolate chips and both were great.
But there are so many different mix-ins you can use in these pancake mix muffins. Here are some of my favorites:
- Chocolate chips
- Lemmon and poppyseed
- Spinkles/Funfetti (you could even make these with a Funfetti pancake mix!)
If you just can't decide or your family members have different preferences, you can divide the batter into two bowls and fold in two different mix-ins before filling muffin tins.
How to Make Muffins with Pancake Mix
Like I keep saying, muffins are easy to make! And these pancake mix muffins are even easier.
To start, preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 papers.
In a large bowl, whisk together pancake mix and sugar. Create a well in the center of the mix.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla until well combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients and using a spatula, mix together until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
Over-mixing will result in dense muffins, so take care to mix just until the ingredients are blended.
Now, Gently fold in blueberries, chocolate chips, or any other mix-ins you want to use.
I separated my batter into two bowls at this point and mixed blueberries into one batch of batter and chocolate chips into the other.
Fill muffin papers about ¾ of the way with batter.
And bake for about 18-21 minutes, until muffins are just turning golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let cool in the tin for a couple minutes before moving to rack to cool completely.
I love these muffins served fresh out of the oven warm, but they're also delicious room temperature. You don't need to add any butter to them, but, of course, you can.
These muffins with pancake mix ended up being incredibly light, fluffy, and moist... All characteristics I look for in my baked goods!
The only problem I had was deciding if I wanted a blueberry one or a chocolate chip one (solution: I ate both).
What If I Don't Want to Use Pancake Mix?
Something tells me you wouldn't be reading this post if you didn't want to make muffins with pancake mix. But if after reading this, you realized you actually want to make these muffins from scratch, I have lots of great from scratch muffin recipes for you.
I'd recommend using an actual muffin recipe instead of trying to adapt this recipe for muffins with pancake mix. See below for some ideas!
More Muffin Recipes
If you want to make homemade muffins from scratch, here are some of my very favorite recipes. In most of them, mix-ins can easily be swapped out for the homemade muffins of your dreams!
- Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins
- Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Muffins
- Carrot Raisin Muffins
- Tuscan Lemon Muffins
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins
- Raspberry, Mango, and Ginger Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Muffins
- Fresh Corn Muffins with Basil
- Double Chocolate Tahini Muffins (from Sloane's Table)
- Glazed Clementine Muffins (from Elle Jay at Home)
What Else Can I Make with Pancake Mix?
If you still have pancake mix on your hands after making these muffins and want to make more than just pancakes with them, you definitely can!
Here are a few other baked goods you can easily make with pancake mix:
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake (from The Country Cook)
- Funnel Cake (from Love From the Oven)
- Buttermilk Biscuits (from Momma Lew)
- Cinnamon Rolls (from Imma Eat That)
- Donuts (from Mom Unleashed)
With a little tweaking, you can make almost any baked good with a box of pancake mix!
Would you rather have pancakes or muffins?
Pancakes are delicious, but I love that you can make muffins one day and have them for days after, whereas pancakes are really only delicious when freshly made.
Muffins with Pancake Mix
- 2 ½ cups pancake mix
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries, ⅔ cups chocolate chips, or any other mix-ins of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pancake mix and sugar. Create a well in the center of the mix.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients and using a spatula, mix together until just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- Fold in blueberries, chocolate chips, or any other mix-ins you desire.
- Fill muffin papers about ¾ of the way with batter and bake for about 18-21 minutes, until muffins are just turning golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for a couple minutes before moving muffins to rack to cool completely.
View Web Story for recipe.