Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers are a simple and delicious treat that combines crispy graham crackers with smooth, rich chocolate. Top the chocolate grahams with sprinkles and they can fit any occasion, making them a fun party dessert, holiday gift, or everyday snack.
Not only is it the most wonderful time of year, but it's also the busiest time of year! I love making homemade cookies and Christmas treats from scratch (my Eggnog Linzer Cookies are a bit time-consuming, but i make them every year!), but sometimes you need to add in a simple bite or two.
These Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers are simple treats that can add so much to a holiday cookie platter. But they aren't just Christmas desserts; they can be made for any celebration at any time of year.
With just a few ingredients and a few quick minutes, you can make a delightful chocolate-y sweet treat your friends and family will all love!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
This easy recipe for chocolate covered graham crackers requires minimal work as you simply need to dip a ready-made graham cracker into melted chocolate and add on the sprinkles of your choice.
But if you use high-quality chocolate, they're so, so delicious and addictive. They are also easy to customize for any holiday or celebration.
They make the perfect addition to a Christmas cookie tin, but are also a fun after school snack for the kids. You can even wrap a few in a pretty cellophane bag and give them out as holiday gifts!
You only need three simple ingredients for these graham cracker treats, though of course, you can add any additional touches you want- I'll share some ideas in the "variations" section of this post.
Here's everything you need (but be sure to view the recipe card at the bottom of this post for ingredient amounts and full recipe directions):
- High quality chocolate: you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate. I like to use 60% bittersweet chocolate. If you prefer, you can use chocolate wafers, but I really like a nice chocolate bar.
- Graham cracker squares
- Sprinkles: of your choice to match your celebration
As an optional ingredient, you can add a tablespoon of coconut oil. This will help harden the chocolate quicker.
Of course, if you really want to, you can make your own homemade graham crackers to dip. This is a fantastic graham cracker recipe.
🥣 How to melt chocolate
With minimal ingredients comes minimal steps. And you barely need to to anything to make these chocolate covered graham crackers. The most important thing is melting the chocolate.
I recommend chopping it into pieces and melting it in a double boiler as this will ensure a nice smooth melted chocolate with low chance of burning or seizing.
If you don't have a double boiler, you can make one yourself with a saucepan and a heat-proof bowl that you can fit over the saucepan. Just heat a small amount of water in the saucepan until it's simmering, not boiling.
Place the heatproof bowl on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. You want the bowl to be a tight fit so steam can't escape.
Stir the chocolate gently and the steam from the simmering water will gently heat the bowl and melt the chocolate.
You can certainly melt chocolate without a double boiler in a single pot, but you have to take great care as it's easy to burn and seize the chocolate.
Be sure to do so over low heat and stir it constantly.
You can also do it in the microwave, in short Intervals. Put the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on 50% power for 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted.
🍫 How to make chocolate covered graham crackers
Once your chocolate is melted, you're ready to dip! Start by lining a baking sheet or two with parchment paper or waxed paper.
I recommend dipping the graham crackers one at a time in the melted chocolate. I use two forks to dunk them and flip them to ensure the grahams are fully coated.
Lift the graham cracker with a fork and gently shake off excess chocolate. You can also use the fork to smooth the chocolate. Place the graham on the prepared baking sheet.
And immediately sprinkle with the sprinkles or other edible decorations of your choice.
I used festive holiday sprinkles, but also a fun rainbow sprinkles mix that would be great for celebrating birthdays.
I get most of my sprinkles from Sweetapolita because they have the best mixes for all occasions!
Now you'll need to let the graham crackers set and harden. You can leave them at room temperature for an hour or so (depending on the temperature of your room) or speed up the process by letting them chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
In addition to using sprinkles, you can also melt white chocolate and use it as a drizzle over the chocolate. You can make designs, write sentiments, or draw simple images. You could also use candy melts in various colors.
You'll want to do this once the chocolate hardens.
⏲️ How to store
I recommend storing the chocolate covered graham crackers in an airtight container at room temperature. If you're stacking them, place pieces of wax paper in between them to avoid sticking.
If your room is on the warmer side, you can also store these in the fridge.
When stored properly at room temperature, the grahams should stay fresh for about two weeks. They'll stay fresh a little bit longer in the fridge, but may develop white spots (they're harmless!).
🎉 Variations on recipe
As you can see, I kept these chocolate graham crackers pretty simple with a rich chocolate coating and fun and festive sprinkles. But there are so many things you can do to make these treats fit your tastes and the occasion. Here are some ideas:
- Use any type of chocolate you want from milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, to white chocolate.
- Sprinkle nuts over the chocolate
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt over the chocolate
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes
- Sprinkle with crushed candy bars of your choice
- Add a caramel or marshmallow drizzle or a peanut butter or other nut butter swirl
- Mix espresso powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract, or the spice or flavor extract of your choice into the melted chocolate
- Add edible glitter or other fun baking decor
- Use sprinkles that fit your occasion and these can be perfect for birthday parties, baby showers, wedding showers, and so much more.
Ultimately, you can add any of your favorite toppings and can even personalize these for your friends and family, making them the perfect gift.
🍪 More party treats
I absolutely love that these easy treats can be decorated to fit so many different occasions and celebrations. Here are some of my other favorite all-occasion party treats:
Check out all my party recipes here.
Whether you're busy making tons of complicated Christmas cookies this season and need an easy option to jazz up your holiday cookie platter or you need a fun party treat or food gift with minimal effort, these chocolate covered graham crackers will brighten up your holiday season!
But they're also delightful for any birthday party or other holiday celebration!
How would you decorate these chocolate grahams?
Chocolate Covered Graham Crackers
- 8 oz high quality chocolate (you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate)
- 16 graham cracker squares
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Roughly chop chocolate and add it to a double boiler (or in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan with water) and bring water in the bottom of boiler to a boil. Stir the chocolate with a wooden spoon until it's evenly melted and smooth (see post body for more options on how to melt chocolate).
- Dip graham cracker squares one at a time in melted chocolate. I recommend using two forks to dunk them and flip them to ensure the grahams are fully coated. Lift the graham cracker with a fork and gently shake off excess chocolate and use fork to smooth if desired. Place the chocolate graham on the prepared baking sheet.
- Add sprinkles to graham crackers while chocolate is still wet.
- Let chocolate graham crackers set and harden. You can leave them at room temperature for an hour or so (depending on the temperature of your room) or speed up the process by letting them chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- To store, keep graham crackers in an airtight container, separated with layers of wax paper to prevent sticking. When stored properly, they should keep at room temperature for about 2 weeks or in fridge for about 3 weeks.