A twist on the classic tom collins cocktail adds one simple ingredient: cucumber! This refreshing Cucumber Collins will quickly become your go-to summer cocktail.
Adding cucumbers to cocktails seems to be a pretty divisive issue. Most people seem to either love cucumber cocktails or hate them. Just like on the cilantro debate (talk about divisive!), I somehow land right in the middle. I like it, but don't go crazy for it and generally don't like too much of it. But when it comes to this cucumber collins cocktail? I am all in. 100%. Give me a pitcher and call it a day.
WHY ADD CUCUMBERS TO COCKTAILS?
Some people think adding vegetable to cocktails is totally weird. As someone who has made several cocktails with tomatoes (and I'm not talking about the juice), I am clearly a fan of vegetables in cocktails. Then again, cucumbers and tomatoes are both technically fruits! Anyway, when it comes to cucumbers being added to drinks, there's a big reason why it's a fabulous idea: Cucumbers are refreshing! That's exactly why they serve cucumber water at so many spas. But there are actually lots of health benefits to cucumbers, including the fact that they have antioxidants, they help hydrate you, and they're good for your skin and muscles.
But let's be real... the only thing that really matters for this recipe is that cucumbers taste delicious in cocktails!
WHAT IS A TOM COLLINS?
And now you're probably wondering "what the heck is a cucumber collins?" Well, first you need to know what a tom collins is! A tom collins is a classic cocktail that consists of gin, lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water. Some people even call it a "gin and sparkling lemonade," which sounds just delicious, right? All of those ingredients can be found in this cucumber cocktail recipe, plus one... Cucumber!
There are even special glasses for tom collins, called collins glasses. They're tall and straight and super similar to highball glasses, but a little bit narrower and taller. A lot of times you see mojitos in collins glasses.
I made this cucumber collins in a mason jar instead of a collins glass for a summery twist. I promise it will be delicious no matter what kind of glass you serve it in!
CUCUMBER COLLINS RECIPE
Like I mentioned, the ingredients for this cucumber collins are pretty standard Tom Collins ingredients, plus some cucumber slices! You'll start by muddling the cucumber, lemon juice, and simple syrup in the bottom of your glass until the cucumbers a re a bit crushed and juices have released.
Then you'll stir in the gin and add plenty of ice, before topping off with soda water.
Add another cucumber slice, sprig of mint, and a lemon wedge for garnish.
If you're not a fan of all that extra roughage in your cocktail, you can definitely make this cocktail in a shaker and strain it into an ice-filled glass. But if you're drinking it with a straw, you shouldn't have any problems with the muddled cucumbers in the glass! It is a cucumber cocktail after all!
Easy to sip, crisp, light, and refreshing, the cucumber collins will surely become one of your go-to summer drinks. Plus, it's probably one of the easiest ways to beat the heat, too.
Do you like cocktails with cucumbers in them?
- 4 slices cucumber (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz. simple syrup (recipe below)
- 2 oz. gin
- Club soda, to top off
- Mint, to garnish
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- In the bottom of a glass, muddle cucumber slices, lemon juice, and simple syrup. If you don't have a muddler, the handle of a wooden spoon will work just fine. Muddle until the cucumbers are a bit crushed and the juices have released.
- Add gin and fill the glass with ice. Top cocktail off with club soda.
- Garnish with additional cucumber slice and mint.
- Put sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once mixture is boiling, lower heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, until sugar has dissolved and mixture thickens.
- Pour syrup into a heat-proof bowl or mason jar and place in fridge to let cool completely.
- If you prefer to leave the muddled cucumber out of your drink, you can prepare the cocktail in a shaker, add gin and strain the drink into an ice filled glass.