Two of life's most delicious foods are combined into one perfect sandwich in this Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese. With a creamy blue cheese spread and plenty of spicy chicken and sharp cheddar cheese, you'll be craving this sandwich for both lunch and dinner!
(This recipe for Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese was originally published in November 2012, but the post has been updated with new photos and content.)
I'm pretty sure I could never have married someone who didn't like spicy food. It would be an absolute disaster. We would probably have constant fights about what I was making for dinner and why he didn't want to go out for Thai or Indian food and how I put too many jalapeños in his cocktail again. Ugh.
Lucky for me, my husband likes SPICY. In fact, he likes food about 10 times spicier than even I can handle. And I can handle a lot. It makes me all emotional when I think about how I met and married my perfect spice match and how life is so much easier since I don't have to make us two different meals or sacrifice my love of spicy foods for his fear.
Buffalo wings are one of Chris's favorite foods and really, one of the best foods of all time. But once you have your favorite recipe for them (my parents'), it's tough to get too creative. So, you crave the flavor, but want to do something a little different.
Enter buffalo chicken grilled cheese. I combined my favorite things about buffalo wings-- the chicken, hot sauce, blue cheese, and celery-- and eliminated the worst-- the chicken bones. Life may never be the same.
This sandwich has quickly become one of my very favorites as it's absolutely packed with flavor and the perfect amount of spice.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
If you love all things buffalo chicken and want to enjoy the flavor in new and fun ways, you need to try this sandwich (you should also try these buffalo chicken egg rolls!). And if you're always looking for unique grilled cheese recipes, this will likely become one of your favorites.
Not only is it super easy to make (easier than a batch of buffalo wings!), but it's also the ultimate comfort food.
The ingredients are simple and you can make the chicken as spicy as you want!
You can certainly sauté chicken breasts (or thighs) and then shred them for this buffalo chicken grilled cheese, but I recommend buying a rotisserie chicken for total ease. If you use a rotisserie chicken for this sandwich, it will take you absolutely no time to make!
Here's everything you need for the sandwich (check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for ingredient amounts and full recipe directions):
- Shredded chicken: I love using rotisserie chicken, but you can also cook your own boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs.
- Hot sauce: Frank's Red Hot is my favorite for all things buffalo wings! Frank's also makes a special buffalo wing sauce.
- Light cream cheese
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Chopped celery
- Unsalted butter
- Good crusty bread
- Sharp cheddar cheese: I like using a super sharp white cheddar
🥪 How to make a buffalo chicken grilled cheese
All you need to do is toss your shredded chicken with some hot sauce: I prefer Frank's Red Hot, but use whatever best suits your taste for spiciness.
And then mix together cream cheese, blue cheese, and celery for an out-of-this-world spread for your bread.
If you don't feel like making the blue cheese spread, you can just spread some blue cheese dressing on the bread instead.
Layer the blue cheese spread and buffalo chicken mixture on some nice crusty bread, top with some slices of sharp cheddar cheese.
Top with second slice of bread, butter-side-up.
And "grill" away in a large pan or griddle over medium heat.
Of course, you can use a panini press if you have one and would rather use it.
You'll want to cook the sandwich for a couple minutes on each side, until bread gets nice and toasty and golden brown and the cheese gets melty.
And then you're ready to dig in!
I'm pretty sure you will be obsessed with this sandwich. It combines everything awesome about buffalo wings in between two buttery cheesy slices of bread.
You won't be surprised to hear that Chris put this grilled cheese near the top of his favorite things I've made list.
When I first told him I was making buffalo chicken grilled cheese, he was mad that I was only making him one sandwich. Seriously. But after he ate this, he said he was completely satisfied and happy.
Sure, the typical grilled cheese may be wimpy, but this is buffalo chicken version is certainly not your typical grilled cheese. You can quote me on that one.
🧀 What if I don't like blue cheese?
I think buffalo chicken and blue cheese are a match made in heaven! But I know some buffalo chicken lovers are also blue cheese haters.
If that's the case, you can certainly skip the blue cheese spread here. You can either just use a little extra butter or you can spread on a little mayonnaise.
Or if you want to get really crazy, you can spread on some ranch dressing!
If you're sick of making buffalo wings for your football watching party every weekend, I think this is the perfect substitute. You could even cut the whole sandwich into smaller bites to make a delightful appetizer.
Of course, this grilled cheese is quite the messy affair, but that's half the fun of it. Have you ever been able to eat a serving of buffalo wings without an extra stack of napkins on standby? I think not.
This sandwich isn't quite that bad. It's just ooey-gooey and everything a good grilled cheese sandwich should be. Oh, and it goes perfectly with potato chips. But celery sticks and carrot sticks also make a fun side.
My only regret is that I didn't make extras and pack them as lunches to bring to work for the week.
But luckily, it's so ridiculously easy to make that I know there will be plenty more buffalo chicken grilled cheeses in my future.
🎉 Variations on recipe
Of course, you can totally make these grilled cheese sandwiches your own. Everyone enjoys different add-ons and there are so many things you can do with this. Here are a few ingredients that would also be delicious on the sandwich:
- Add green onions, red onion, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, or the spice, herb, or sauce of your choice for additional flavor.
- Use Monterey Jack cheese, Swiss cheese, or American cheese instead of blue cheese and cheddar.
- Make the sandwich on white bread, a toasty brioche bun, or the bread of your choice instead.
- Serve a side of ranch, blue cheese dip, or a side of extra buffalo sauce for dipping the sandwich in as you eat it.
👩🍳 More buffalo chicken recipes
If you love buffalo chicken as much as I do, you want to consume it in every shape and form. These Buffalo-style recipes are also pretty fantastic!
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Mini Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas (from Slender Kitchen)
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers (from Well Plated)
Do you like spicy? Is your significant other a good spice match for you?
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- ⅓ cup hot sauce (I recommend Frank's Red Hot)
- 6 oz. light cream cheese
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices good crusty bread
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Place shredded chicken in a medium bowl and mix with hot sauce.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, blue cheese, and celery in a separate bowl.
- Butter one side of each of your slices of bread. Flip bread over and generously slather cream cheese/blue cheese mixture on top of each slice. On two of the bread slices, divide buffalo chicken and layer a few slices of cheese on top of it.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Place slices of bread with buffalo chicken on griddle butter-side-down and top with remaining bread slices, butter-side-up.
- Cook for a couple minutes on each side, until bread gets nice and toasty and cheese gets melty.