Looking for an easy-to-make chili that is both satisfying and healthy? This White Chicken Chili is so deliciously filling, you won't even need cornbread on the side!
(This recipe for White Chicken Chili was originally posted in January 2010, but was updated with new photos in 2020).
If you're going to be addicted to something, it may as well be the recipes on Closet Cooking's blog. Right?? I suppose chili is another OK thing to be addicted to. Because it's delicious and because there are about a trillion varieties of it. And because you need to make something for dinner anyway, so why the heck not??
I have a love-hate relationship with deciding what to make for dinner, so when I saw this White Chicken Chili recipe on Closet Cooking's blog, I immediately went to the store and got the ingredients. I love when life is easy like that. I did switch things up quite a bit, but stuck with the same basic ingredients.
One of the beautiful things about chili is that it can totally range from being ridiculously healthy to completely indulgent. And it's usually totally delicious both ways (and if it's not, you can always serve it with a huge hunk of cornbread!).
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE
This white chicken chili happens to be on the side of healthy. But still totally delicious and satisfying. It's packed with white meat chicken, cannellini beans, and jalapeño peppers, with just a little bit of milk stirred in and cheese sprinkled on top.
It's also INCREDIBLY quick and easy to make. It's literally four steps, but ends up being a super satisfying and impressive meal.
I've experimented a bit with the heat in this chili as the first time I made it, it was way spicy. To tone it down a bit, I recommend scraping the seeds out of your jalapeños. Or just adding a little less if you really don't like much heat at all.
For the chicken, I decided to simply cook a couple chicken breasts in a little olive oil in a skillet. Once they cooled a bit, I shredded them. If you want things even easier, just get a rotisserie chicken and shred it up!
Heat olive oil in a a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Then add in garlic and cumin and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
Add shredded chicken, green chiles, beans, chicken stock, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
In a separate small bowl, mix together the cornmeal and milk and mix mixed that into the chili. Let simmer for another 10 minutes to thicken.
That's it!! Easiest dinner ever, right?? I love when dinners are quick and easy, but look like they took way more time than they actually did!
I served the white chicken chili with a little shredded cheddar cheese on top and some sliced avocado.
This chili has an awesome bite to it! It's a nice unassuming white chili, with the perfect touch of heat to jazz things up a bit.
The chili is really pretty healthy too, packing in lots of protein with the chicken and beans. Plus, it's so satisfying that you won't feel the need to serve cornbread or other carbohydrates with it.
If the weather is going to be cold and miserable outside, you may as well get nice and cozy feasting on chili inside! Preferably while watching trashy reality television. Like The Bachelor. No, I'm not kidding. It's the perfect winter watching, chili-eating show. Maybe add some wine, too.
The sun is actually finally coming out in Boston this morning (this morning did not look very hopeful!), but I'm still kind of in the mood for more white chicken chili. And bad reality television. What can I say? It's just something that winter does to me!
I'm sure this won't be the last chili I'll be enjoying this winter and something even tells me I'll be making this white chicken chili at least another time or two!
What's your favorite chili recipe?
Looking for more delicious and unique chili recipes? I love this Sweet Potato Chili, but also have a special place in my heart for this Buffalo Chicken Chili. I also really want to try this Weeknight Veggie Chili from Cait's Plate!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (from about 1 medium onion)
- 3 Tbsp diced jalapeño pepper with seeds scraped out (from 1-2 jalapeño peppers)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 3 cups white meat chicken, shredded (I used chicken breasts, but you could also use a rotisserie chicken)
- 7 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- ½ cup milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- Sliced avocado, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Add in garlic and cumin and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add shredded chicken, green chiles, beans, chicken stock, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the cornmeal and milk and mix mixed that into the chili. Let simmer for another 10 minutes to thicken.
- Serve chili topped with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced avocado.
- Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking.